Sunday, August 10, 2008

Orem Junior Miss Pageant

Last night I went with Stephanie to the Orem Junior Miss Pageant. We went to support Jill. 11 of the 18 girls were from OHS. It was a lot different than I expected it to be. I was expecting a traditional pageant. There was very little that was traditional. I know at least a fair amount about pageants because my mom is the production director the the Miss Orem Pageant and she's a judge on the Utah State Board of Judges. There's certain pageant etiquette that is expected when attending a pageant. I'm sorry but spray painting t-shirts with the name of your contestant on them, spelling out her name across 6 shirts with one letter per shirt is NOT appropriate. Standing up and screaming at the top of your lungs is NOT appropriate. Holding up giant posters while yelling is NOT appropriate. And yet...all of these things happened at the junior miss pageant last night. They would have gotten kicked out if they had done that at the Miss Utah pageant or even the Miss Orem pageant. I can't believe they allowed it last night. I wasn't very impressed with the pageant. There is also a certain pageant etiquette that is expected of the contestants. Screaming when you win an award is NOT appropriate. Jumping up and down with your tongue out like some kind of rockstar is NOT appropriate. Honestly, pageants are about elegance and class, it is very different than a hard rock concert. Contestants should realize this when they enter the pageant, it shouldn't be a shock to them. The talent at this pageant was definitely lacking. Only a few of the 18 girls actually did well...I'm sorry to say. Oh well, I guess I just had high expectations.

Here's Steph before it started.
This is Jill during the Personal Expression category. She's doing a fast model walk. I couldn't get a good picture.

1 comment:

Stephanie Lyn :) said...

Yeah- I had the worst headache from those people behind us with the shirts AND the signs AND the screaming! grrr... And remember when Jill got skipped? haha!