Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Proposal!


So everyone knows I'm officially engaged now, but not everyone knows the story. I have to give him props for creativity. Earlier in the week I ruined his first attempt at proposing, so when he asked me if I had plans for Friday because he was taking half a day off work, I have to admit I knew it was coming. Besides the fact that it just so happened that Friday was EXACTLY four months from our first date. But he did a pretty good job of keeping the plans a secret. (Keep in mind he is the WORST secret keeper ever. Think of a 4 year old's ability to keep a secret and then divide it by two. That's Nathan.) I wasn't trying to figure out his plans, but I was trying to figure out what the heck to wear. Jeans, a dress, snow pants, etc. ALL he told me was "Don't wear a dress." Okay... so I wore jeans that were a size too big for me because the ones that fit were dirty. What he should've said was to dress warm. We get in the car and I said, "What are we doing?" He said, "We're going on a hike." Greaaaat. Remember how well those plans turned out on Monday? Please don't let it be a repeat. "It's only a mile long but the increase in elevation is 3,000 feet." I gave him a funny look. We got on the freeway toward Salt Lake and then got off at the 90th South exit and headed toward the mountains. I thought to myself, he better have just been joking about the hike. Luckily he was...Kind of. It turns out it was a mile hike with a ginormous elevation increase, just not by foot. By the Snowbird Tram! It was such a pretty ride up to the top, but a little scary. Once the ride ended we walked around for a bit up there then went over to this balcony where the tram ends and he said, "The past four months have been some of the happiest of my life. I can't wait to spend countless more with you, but there's a question I have to ask you first." Then he got down on one knee and said, "Will you marry me?" Oh my goodness I think I had the biggest smile on my face!! I think I was speechless because all I could do was nod my head. Then he said, "You make me so happy. I want to spend every day for the rest of forever trying to make you as happy as you make me." Then he put the ring on my finger. I was the happiest girl in the whole entire world at that moment when he asked me to marry him.

Nathan Frederick Nye, I LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

Chrisanne Serafin said...

Ashleigh Dickerson!
I am so ridiculously happy for you! I can't believe my best friend from High school is getting married! My best hopelessly romantic buddy has finally found her man who could not compare to any Marcia Lynn McClure character ever! Remember all those times we'd fantasize about our future husbands and write corny romance stories? Now you get to LIVE one, haha! (just please don't go around changing your first name and saying stuff like " Mother that purple dress is simply fascinating on you!")

I love and adore you!
CON FREAKING GRATULATIONS!

Ashleigh said...

HAHA what if is IS simply fascinating?? I love you Chrisanne!! I am so excited to live my own romance story!