Thursday, January 27, 2011
I just won the meanest teacher of the year award!
So I got to Lakeridge this morning and Mr. Anderson said since we saw him teach his lesson yesterday we should teach it today. One problem, I HAD to be mean. The lesson was about stress reduction, so I needed to first CAUSE stress. Maryann didn't think she could be mean, but I wanted to give it a try. I was really hard on them. "Pull out a piece of paper. We're taking a test." Firm voice. This was so hard for me because I really like to smile and I couldn't. When I said the word 'test' all the students groaned. I asked them ridiculous questions that I KNEW they wouldn't know the answer to and then I told them we covered it in class. I told them if they talked I'd take their test and then they'd fail. Example question: "What is the reticular activating system and where is it located? I need at least a paragraph response." I asked them five questions and the look of TERROR was very clear on their faces. I had the hardest time not busting up laughing from their reactions! After I got through question 5, which was the end, I smiled and said, "I'm kidding, there's not really a test." They looked so so so relieved! But I think at least 30% of them knew I was kidding. So anyway then I asked them a whole bunch of follow up questions about how I could influence their stress level. I was worried that since I hadn't had much interaction with this particular class that their first impression of my would've been really bad, but I'm glad they laughed with me about it. I was so nervous I was shaking. But I think it went well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment