Tuesday, April 7, 2009

First Love

I don't think you ever fully get over your first love...

*Sigh*, We were best friends and fifteen. Too old for play dates, too young for real dates. We were caught in that middle stage and the only term you could really use to describe us would be the closest of friends. Plain 'friend' didn't quite fit and 'boyfriend' fit even less. It was the best of times and we were the best of friends. We laughed, we talked, we played, we fought. Oh, the tender age of fifteen. Those young, fragile hearts break so easily. We eventually moved on. High school came and we went out separate ways, slowly drifting apart. And while the heartache fades, he holds some of the fondest memories of my youth. He owns the very first peice of my heart. He always will. What I wouldn't give to be fifteen and carefree again. Back then I wanted to grow up, now I would give almost anything to go back and relive just one day. I miss being his best friend, I miss all the memories we made, I miss all our talks, I miss him. Time sure does fly. When we were fifteen I just assumed we would finish growing up together, always being close friends. I always thought we'd go to dances together, hang out on the weekends, watch movies. It didn't happen. I think I cried when he got his first real girlfriend, I missed him so much. Not even in a romantic way, I just missed being his best friend. Here we are about to graduate and we never do any of the things I thought we would. No dances, no weekends, no closeness. It's not that I never see him, because I do. We even have a class together, it's just not the same as it was when we were fifteen. I don't know why all these memories have come flooding back to me all of a sudden, but I do know that it put a smile on my face. It could have been because of that hug he gave me the other day, the one that reminded me of when we were best friends. To this day I don't even know if he felt the same way about me back then as I did about him. All I know is that he was my best friend and my first love.