Monday, September 8, 2008

Prescription Drug Labels

Beth, my Pharmacy tech teacher at MATC was talking about how you have to be REALLY specific when you are giving instrucitons on how to take your prescriptions. She gave several examples. It was so funny. Some people are just plain dumb. Well there are warning labels on many drugs like take with food. Well, the take with food label usually has a picture of a sandwich on it. One time a lady called in and said, "Can I PLEASE eat something besides sandwiches with my medicine? I have to take it 3 times a day, so I've had sandwiches for every meal and I'm really getting sick of it." ha ha ha ha. The label SAYS eat with FOOD, not eat with SANDWICHES. ha ha, but the picture is of a sandwich.
Then she said when we go for our externship if you're a guy (which I'm not) usually if you answer the phone whoever is on other end will most likely assume you're the Pharmacist. So they'll just automatically start telling you all about their problems and stuff that you dont' want to hear about and cant help them with anyways. She said they'll start telling you about leaking, burning, itching, whatever is going on with them. So she said be sure to include 'tech in training' when you answer the phone. Like, "Hi this is Shawn, tech in training, how may I help you?" Then she said it might even be helpful to say, "Hi this is Shawn, tech in Training. Please don't tell me about your bladder problems, how may I help you?" ha ha ha.
She says it's really funny when you get a prescription for 10 Percocet and the person altered it into 700. Yeah right, like any doctor would prescribe someone 700 Percocet.
Anyways, lots of funny stuff happens in the class.

1 comment:

Chrisanne Serafin said...

haha!
That's awesome!!!
So funny